……is what got me through my run today ❤
……is what got me through my run today ❤
So what’s been happening since last time?
– First off I want to thank Rachelle @ http://sweethomepasadena.wordpress.com/ for nominating me for the Liebster Award!! What an honor & I am so excited! Thank you so much Rachelle 🙂 I will be writing about this in the above new page/tab. Yayaya!
– I got to catch up with my best buds over some awesome food at Boston Pizza. Isn’t it just amazing when you haven’t seen each other in so long because you’re in different countries and when you finally sit down to catch up it’s as if you haven’t missed a beat! Best ever! 🙂 We girlies ended up sharing two huge salads, Strawberry Pecan & the Santa Fe. Then we ordered a large Spicy Perogy pizza. We could barely finish two slices! It was deliciousy spicy and perogy-ish! ❤ We ended off with coffee and as the night went on we still hadn’t finished talking so we ordered one brownie with coffee refills! What A NIGHT! I was wired from all that coffee & couldn’t sleep till 4 am 😉
– I’ve been working on my residency applications & getting it ready to send off in September. Personal statements, LORs, CV, online applications, researching programs. Argh! So a little bit of time before that but still a lot left to do. Hope this turns out to be a successful year for me. It’s getting to be a very expensive process – from school to applications!
– I’m been bad about my exercise habits. There are too many days inbetween which are “rest days”. Yikes!
– “V” received his birthday gift! I sent him a “Birthday Box” filled with all sorts of goodies! ❤ He loved it!
– Another birthday coming up this week, my best friend is celebrating her 30th! 🙂 We have something planned to send her!
– I tried my own recipe for protein brownies. It was a big time fail! I baked it and it was so so soooo dry my family almost choked. I ended up eating it soaked in almond milk 😛
– I’ll end off with a very simple peanut chutney recipe I made yesterday and today which is a big hit at home! We eat this with dosa or you can even spread it over toast / roti and enjoy it! Watch out for the spicyness factor, it can make your mouth and tummy burn 😉 Just like I am experiencing right NOW!
Ok, well not the most attractive photo. Kinda looks like hummus….or well….ok it’s peanut chutney 😉
1 cup raw peanuts
1 tablespoon tamarind paste
1 tablespoon honey
0.5 – 1 teaspoon green chilli ( I prefer this) OR red chilli flakes depending on how spicy you like it
0.25- 0.5 teaspoon salt to taste
water to thin out the chutney while grinding
Dry roast the peanuts in the microwave for about a minute to a minute and a half on high. Make sure you watch that it doesn’t burn.
Next take the tamarind paste and stick it in a bowl with about 1/4 cup water and heat it in the microwave for about 30 seconds. Take out any seeds.
Then after both the peanuts and tamarind water cools down I stick them all in my handy dandy Magic Bullet and grind the peanuts, tamarind with water, honey, chilli, salt and keep adding water to thin it out – BUT not TOO watery.
Other recipes will mention adding onion / garlic, but I decided to keep it simple and it turned out delicious and NO extra added OIL 🙂
You can keep the chutney in the fridge and use the left overs for another day! YUM! ❤
Till next time!
But can’t update y’all now.
Got my run on & am about to get ready to head out to dinner with my friends! Looking forward to catching up over some good food & drinks!
I’ll leave you with something I found truly inspirational.
Till next time! 🙂
After yesterday’s bike ride I couldn’t get out of bed this morning – today is my rest day. 😉
It was a rainy day today. Had a wonderful simply delicious sandwich for lunch. I will probably post it up tomorrow.
Worked on my applications with coffee made with almond milk. My tummy cannot tolerate too much cow’s milk these days. We usually have the 2% partly skimmed, but I’ve opted for almond milk 90% of the time and I feel just fine.
I felt like a protein smoothie for dinner. Thought I would mix things up and try a new flavour. I use the Kaizen protein powder (vanilla & chocolate) and I feel like I’m literally chugging it down. It’s too sweet and….well, I’m not a fan, I will need to switch soon. So I try to cover up the taste by adding a lot of other items to the smoothie to mask the protein taste. I experimented and came up with something new today. You may or may not be a fan 🙂
So here goes.
Banana-Chocolate Mint protein smoothie
– 1 banana
– 1 scoop vanilla protein powder
– 2 tablespoons oat powder
– a few leaves of chocolate mint
– 1/4 tablespoon cinnamon
– 1/2 tablespoon flax powder
– for an extra kick I added chai masala powder (optional)
– 1 cup milk of choice
I personally thought the chocolate mint (which we grow in our garden along with many other herbs) added a special twist to this smoothie. If you want it more sweet you can even throw in some dates! Yum!
Till next time.
Or is it over done? Ah whatever.
I challenged myself to bike all the way to the lake shore.
Total: 28 km = 17.39 miles
My butt feels dead. I need more practice 🙂
I came home, downed a huge flask of water and a carrot muffin.
I thought of this ad:
Unfortunately I didn’t take my phone/camera along so no pretty pictures. It was really beautiful though, with a lot of families hanging out by the lake on this beautiful Sunday evening.
I need to shower power.
Till next time!
How’s everyone doing this Friday 🙂 Any fun plans for tonight or for the weekend?
I can’t believe it was a week ago that I was in Chicago having a great time! This just means I look forward to my next vacation 🙂
Today was my Dad’s birthday and he doesn’t like going all out with the party, cake and such. We had quite a few carrots in the fridge so, I decided to bake him a wonderfully delicious Eggless Carrot Cake, well actually….. Muffins! 🙂
It was a big hit in the house!
I used this page: http://vegetarian.about.com/od/vegancakerecipes/r/vegancarrot.htm
and changed things up a bit.
Vegetarian Carrot Cake Ingredients:
1/2 cup Compliments cinnamon applesauce
1.5 cup grated carrots
1 cup pecans/walnuts/nut of choice, chopped
1/2 cup melted butter
1 tsp salt (D)
2 tsp baking powder (D)
3 tsp cinnamon (D)
1 cup white sugar (D)
1 1/4 cups flour (D)
1/2 cup almond milk
Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F.
I mixed the dry (D) ingredients with the cinnamon apple sauce. Next I added the melted butter & almond milk. Finally I added the carrots and my nut of choice, pecans.
You can use a muffin pan or a cake pan. I sprayed a little Pam on the muffin pan and evenly distributed the muffin mix. Baked for about 45 mins.
With the remaining shredded carrots I made a simple and quick carrot salad!
2 cups shredded carrots
1/2 – 1 cup salted peanuts (I used shelled virginia peanuts)
1 – 2 tsp paprika powder
honey to taste
freshly ground black pepper
salt to taste
– optional: add lemon juice, coriander, green chilli, fresh onion
Whatever floats your boat 😉
Also, my Bro made some dinner for the both of us! It was very tasty and spicy!! Pasta sauce with a LOT of fresh veggies and banana peppers! Instead of pasta, I went with quinoa and sprinkled some peanuts on top.
Time to chillax, sip on this (hot water with lemon basil)….
& end the night with a Gchat date with my Guy ❤
Till next time!
1) Applications, applications, applications….
2) Birthdays & birthday presents!
3) ……brain fart……..
4) New recipe I can’t wait to try out: Vegetarian west African Peanut soup
5) Weddings! A wedding to attend in September & one in October (I am one of the bridesmaids!)
6) Number 5 means…I need to get into shape 😉
7) Number 6 means exercise & eat as clean as I can 🙂
9) Try not to fall behind….
10) Stay calm & breathe 🙂
+++ lifestyle / fshn / cuisine +++
Blogging. . . family-medicine-style
awesome is the new normal
Fashion, Food, Travel, Lifestyle
Runner, Mother, and Sweets Lover!
Amazing & fun.........Indian cooking!!
vegetarian and vegan food blog
Be a Proud Home Chef
Chemicals, disease, and junk are wreaking havoc on our bodies, animals, and the planet. If there is a healthy alternative why contribute to the chaos? What started as frustration with my skin and hair has lead me to homemade natural products and a vegan diet. My "potions" as my 6 year-old calls them and lifestyle changes are transforming my body inside and out. All you need is motivation and creativity. I hope you'll join me on this journey to a simple, natural and healthy lifestyle!
A collection of Indian cuisines
| Stumbling joyfully through life in the Foothills of the San Gabriel Valley |
Riding a bicycle across America
food for lovers. of food.
Because I do in fact, put out for Tempeh.
"We all know fear. But passion makes us fearless." - Paulo Coelho
Delicious plant-based, whole food recipes & my healthy living tips!
to do. to see. to hear. to love